Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Raise Your Fist High Little Miss Flower Power


If you know my daughter, you know she loves flowers. Not one flower, not two flowers, but she will wear up to four flowers on her head at one time. And these aren’t itty bitty baby flowers, no way, she’s a big girl, and these are big girl flowers. Didn’t she tell you that already?

My daughter is four and one half years old. She is going on thirty. She wears what she wants to wear and has done so since she was about two. I don’t care if she has rain boots paired with a tutu, leggings under shorts and a purple, zebra poncho on over a dress. As long as we get out the door on time, she is free to wear what she wants.

People referred to my daughter as “Fancy Nancy” before we even knew who that was, and now we get it and we think it’s a compliment. The sunglasses, boa and curly hair never hurt either. I don’t think it’s just the way she dresses though, it’s a kind of presence, an aura about her. I’m proud of this little human and I want her to show the world that she is just as proud of herself.

I also feel like individual style is important, it teaches independence, self esteem, creativity. Who cares if your socks don’t match? When you have the attitude to back it up, anything is possible. You can choose to wear spider socks on Easter, and bunny socks on Halloween, without a word people will know you are an individual.


My daughter is a little someone who goes against the norm, in an artsy, yet courteous way. Of course not everyone is going to appreciate this style, and some will even squawk at her mother for “allowing her child to go out of the house dressed like that”. Who cares really? Not me and not my little fashionista, and that’s just the way we like it.

Besides, I’m sure people thought Betsey Johnson was insane, and look how successful she became. Imagine what people said about Cher, and look how she turned out. Not to mention Lady Gaga or “the lady in the egg” as my daughter refers to her. Creativity is the door to a life filled with color, texture, art and positive self awareness.

On top of everything, couldn’t we all use a little more style? A little more color? Wouldn’t we all feel better about the world and ourselves if we just wore whatever made us feel good? Let’s unleash the beauty, ban the bland, and release our inhibitions. Starting with my daughter, I promise to uphold my part in this fashion revolution by allowing her to wear what she wants, when she wants. Maybe I’ll change my mind when she pulls out her first pair of black noir, fishnet stockings, unless of course she happens to be dancing back-up for the “lady in the egg”. Until then, I’m in, and I’d love to count you in too.

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and jcpenney blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”





jcpenney back-to-school shop jcpenney

1 comment: